As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
As an Environmental Technician you will perform skilled and technical work related to administration of the City’s Tree Protection Bylaw. Your work will include: reviewing tree cutting applications, participating in bylaw compliance investigations, reviewing development applications and tree protection measures for construction. You will also be responsible for growing the City’s urban forest by ensuring replacement trees are planted and protected.
- Performing Tree Risk Assessments
- Practical knowledge of tree biology, insects and diseases
- Arboriculture field skills are preferred.
- Knowledge of natural area management and riparian areas/sensitive ecosystems is considered an asset.
- You must possess superior public relation and interpersonal skills, including dealing with others in stressful situations
- Strong organization and problem solving skills, and an understanding of the City’s Tree Protection Bylaw and related regulations will ensure your success in this role
- University Degree or Diploma in Forestry, Arboriculture, Horticulture or a related field from an accredited post-secondary institution along with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in arboriculture-related work.
- Related experience in tree risk assessment is required.
- A valid BC driver’s license and the use of the incumbents own vehicle for site visits is required.
- The incumbent will be a Qualified Tree Risk Assessor from the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), also be Certified or eligible for certification as a “Certified Arborist” with the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA).
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.surrey.ca/city-government/599.aspx