Are you ready to sink your roots into a company that will recognize you for the special skills and attributes you have to offer? Do you like the idea of working outside, sometimes at a height with a perspective many do not have the privilege of witnessing? How about the thought of working along side like-minded industry professionals who will literally show you the ropes of arboriculture?
We’re local! BC Plant Health Care prides itself on being a team of highly motivated, educated, and dedicated professionals who are committed to keeping it green, one tree at a time™. Over the past 18 years, the company has grown and adapted to the ever-changing urban environments of BC while proudly remaining a locally owned and operated business.
We love green! BC Plant Health Care has been recognized by the BBB and local communities as being a truly green company, incorporating eco-friendly techniques and approaches into our daily operations. This is achieved through initiatives like our company car pool program or live green roof. We also volunteer by planting trees, distributing saplings, and educating the public about the importance and benefits of trees.
Get Paid to Learn! If you are looking to kick-start a fulfilling, exciting, challenging - but rewarding career at a company that will support your personal and professional growth, please apply with your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org ! We thank all those who apply, however only those who are requested for an interview will be contacted.
- $18.00 - $24.00/hour
- Self-Directed Benefits Including Medical & Dental
- Safety Allowance
- Education/Professional Development Allowance
- BCPHC supplies all climbing gear
- Safety Allowance for boots & chainsaw pants
- Employee Car-Pool Program.
An Arborist Apprentice will have a variety of duties and tasks to perform daily, varying by the type of work being done at each given site. The main priorities are to assist Arborists with arboricultural practices, equipment selection and maintenance, adhering to safety procedures, and occasional interactions with customers.
- Read and understand job details in a work order.
- Assist a tree climber in rigging and removing limbs and tree sections.
- Take down trees using spurs and an aerial lift truck under supervision.
- Prune small trees and shrubs under supervision.
- Limb and buck trees on the ground.
- Operate a chipper & specialized equipment, i.e. stump grinder, skidsteer, hi-ab, and airspade.
- Tree installation and transplanting.
- Integrated pest management and invasive species control.
- Root pruning and install root barriers.
- Storm cleanup.
Equipment, Machine & Tool Use
- Choose and load necessary daily equipment.
- Perform daily inspections of equipment and vehicles.
- Drive vehicles including carpool cars, lift/chipper trucks, with or without trailers.
- Set up and take down of work site.
- Refuel, sharpen, maintain and safely operate power tools such as chainsaws and blowers.
- Inspect/maintain larger mobile equipment.
- Clean up of job site.
Safe Work Practices
- Choose and inspect personal protective equipment.
- Inspect worksites and identify risks.
- Direct vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Complete aerial rescue and lift truck rescue training.
- Minimum Education: High School Diploma.
- WHMIS Certificate
- Work experience in Arboriculture, Horticulture, Landscaping, Hardscaping preferred.
- Class 5 Drivers Licence or will pursue shortly after hire.
How to Apply
Please email email@example.com with your resume and "Arborist Apprentice" in the subject line to apply for this position.