- This event has passed.
Trees and the Law (Canada)
The workshop starts by understanding terms and legal principles and how these drive professional practice and possible advice to clients. This will include:
- Duty of care
- Standard of care
- Damages and penalties
With the use of case studies and reviews of court decisions, we will see why the courts favour or disapprove of certain actions, and that will then help to inform us about why professional practice requires certain set actions and processes that help to keep companies and clients better organized.
Various forms of damage will be reviewed including trespass, and personal and property damage, and the implications of these for the plaintiff and the defendant. The use of evidence and reports will be discussed to show how these can make or break a case.
The course will be suitable for anyone in the industry including tree care companies, municipal, utility, certified and consulting arborists.
Julian Dunster is the lead author of Arboriculture and the Law in Canada (now out of print). Julian has testified in court cases and served as an expert witness at inquests in Canada and Hong Kong. He regularly writes about trees and legal issues in Tree Service Canada.
Location: Rotary Field House at South Surrey Athletic Park, 2197 148 St, Surrey, BC, V4A 9P5, Canada
- 8:30-9:45 – The Basic Legal Concepts
- 9:45-10:00 – Break
- 10:00-11:00 – Negligence
- 11:00-11:15 – Break
- 11:15-12:15 – Nuisance
- 12:15-1:00 – Lunch
- 1:00-2:15 – Damages – Awards – Case Studies
- 2:15-2:30 – Break
- 2:30 – 4:00 Professional Practice and Wrap Up
- Trees and the Law in Canada is available for advanced purchase: https://treelaw.info/
- The book is also available for purchase at the workshop
- Optional, not required, for participation in the workshop
Dr. Julian Dunster has unique academic and professional qualifications. He is a Registered Consulting Arborist, a Registered Professional Forester, and a Registered Professional Planner, and in addition to two degrees in forestry, he holds a Doctorate in Regional Planning and Resource Development. Julian has over thirty years of hands on experience from assignments all over the world, and his innovative work has been recognized with many awards. Julian uses these qualifications and expertise to provide you with practical, science based information, combined with a pragmatic understanding of what will or will not work well.
- Cancellations made at least 10 days prior to the event will be refunded at 100%.
- Cancellations made within 5-9 days of the event will be refunded at 75%.
- Cancellations made within 1-4 days of the event will be refunded at 50%.
- Refunds will not be made available for no-shows.
- Participants are expected to enroll prior to the registration deadline.
- Participants can register at the door of the event only if space is available. Individuals will need to pack their own lunch.
- Late registration is possible on a space available basis. You can contact our office at (800) 335-4391. There may, or may not be, room available for those who show up without registering ahead of time for the workshop. We encourage you to register for the workshop in advance.
Allied Professionals are members of allied organizations. See our list of qualifying organizations.