- This event has passed.
Advanced Tree Identification
This workshop has reached capacity. Select REGISTER NOW to join our waitlist. We will be in touch if a spot becomes available.
This course is designed as a supplement and complement to the Basic Tree Identification course. Where the basic course covered concepts and terminology of tree identification, this advanced identification workshop will expand upon those concepts and techniques, and cover individual species common to our area. We will be going over identification characteristics of common trees in the region.
Proper tree management starts with knowing the tree you’re managing. When trying to recommend an appropriate treatment, diagnosing an issues, or understanding how a tree will respond to a change in condition, identifying the tree you’re dealing with is the first step.
The workshop will be inside for the first third or less, and will go outside to cover individual species. However, to make the course as useful as possible, attendees should choose a few species or genre that they want to examine. The workshop will be hands on, and questions and interaction is encouraged.
Please bring proper attire for standing and taking notes in inclement weather.
Location: Washington Park Arboretum, Graham Visitor's Center, 2300 Arboretum Drive E
Seattle, WA 98112
- 8:30am: Arrival, coffee, networking
- 9:00am – 10:30am: Review Basics of Tree ID (terminology, concepts, techniques).
- Further examination of fruit and flowers; Comparisons between genera; Comparison between species.
- 10:30am – 11:30am: Walk through the trees, hands-on ID focused on concepts and common species
- 11:30am-12:00pm: Lunch
- 12:00pm – 3:00pm: Walk through the trees, hands-on ID focused on concepts and common species
What to Bring:
- Notebook for sketches and notes
- Favorite ID books
- Clothing for all weather situations
Bess Bronstein is a horticultural consultant, educator, ISA Certified Arborist® and Qualified Tree Risk Assessor based on the Kitsap Peninsula in Kingston, Washington. She has over 30 years experience in arboriculture, landscape management and garden design. Bess holds an A.T.A. degree in Ornamental Horticulture, and a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree from the University of Washington. She was an instructor for the Edmonds Community College horticulture program for 28 years, with a focus on courses in pruning and tree care, plant identification, plant pests/diseases and diagnosis, and soils. Bess frequently teaches public and professional arboriculture and horticulture courses throughout the Pacific Northwest.
- Cancellations made at least 10 days prior to the event will be refunded at 100%.
- Cancellations made within 5-9 days of the event will be refunded at 75%.
- Cancellations made within 1-4 days of the event will be refunded at 50%.
- Refunds will not be made available for no-shows.
- Participants are expected to enroll prior to the registration deadline.
- Participants can register at the door of the event only if space is available. Individuals will need to pack their own lunch.
- Late registration is possible on a space available basis. You can contact our office at (800) 335-4391. There may, or may not be, room available for those who show up without registering ahead of time for the workshop. We encourage you to register for the workshop in advance.
Allied Professionals are members of allied organizations. See our list of qualifying organizations.