PNW-ISA Announces New Online Tool for ISA CEU Approvals
The process to assign Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) for an event starts with your local Chapter, the Pacific Northwest ISA. PNW-ISA uses external reviewers to approve applicable CEUs using the domains of the ISA Certification exam. The CEU code [example, PN-17-000] is then assigned by ISA. In addition to the CEUs assigned specifically for PNW-ISA classes and workshops, nearly 1,200 total CEUs were approved last year for our various partners and allied professions. That equates to almost 200 full-day classes in one year.
The number continues to grow as well. In late October, PNW-ISA launched a new online submission form to better handle requests for CEU approvals. If you plan to coordinate an event with CEUs, you can help ensure that the process is seamless and timely for your event. To approve CEUs, actual seat time for a class is essential. Specific information needed includes:
- Event title and description
- Agenda with break and lunch times noted
- Event date, start time, and end time
- Event location
- Speaker/instructor bios
- Full contact information for the event coordinator
The new online fillable form helps make the process easier. Be prepared to upload a copy of your event agenda and/or program description. Reviewers use this more detailed information to approve CEUs across the exam domains and specializations (Board Certified Master Arborist, Certified Arborist, Certified Tree Worker, Aerial Lift Specialist, Municipal Specialist, and Utility Specialist). Incomplete agendas or descriptions delay the approval process.
You are always welcome to call the PNW-ISA office to get more information or clarify the instructions. Thank you for helping ensure that ISA Certified Arborists all across the Pacific Northwest have ample opportunities to learn and earn ISA CEUs.
All ISA Certifications are valid for three years. To maintain your certification, you must earn a minimum number of ISA Continuing Education Units (CEUs) by the end of the three-year period and pay a recertification fee. Or, you can retake and pass the exam. The number of CEUs required depends upon the credential you hold:
- ISA Certified Arborist: 30 CEUs
- ISA Certified Arborist Utility Specialist: 6 Utility CEUs + 30 Arborist CEUs = 36 total
- ISA Certified Arborist Municipal Specialist: 12 Municipal CEUs + 30 Arborist CEUs = 42 total
- ISA Certified Tree Worker Climber Specialist: 15 CEUs
- ISA Certified Tree Worker Aerial Lift Specialist: 15 CEUs
- ISA Board Certified Master Arborist: 60 CEUs (20 each in Science, Practice, and Management)
For more information: https://pnwisa.org/certification/maintaining-certification/.