The City will be conducting an oral interview along with a skills test that includes climbing a tree with rope and saddle and the proper use of a aerial lift truck.
A Commercial Drivers License (CDL) is required for this position. If you currently do not posses a CDL, you will need to obtain one within six months of your date of hire. A certified copy of your DMV record will be required.
This is skilled work in the care and pruning of shade trees along City streets and parks. Work involves participation in the general maintenance and pruning of shade trees along streets and in parks. Work involves responsibility for performing a variety of tasks including the climbing of trees, using rope and saddle and working at considerable heights, the operating of an aerial lift truck and other power equipment used in the pruning and removal of trees, and stumps and planting of trees. Work includes a variety of assignments on the ground, on equipment, and in the trees
- Must pass the pre-employment drug test (including marijuana)
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must pass the pre-employment background check
- Must have an Oregon Commercial Driver's license within six months of hire date
- Must have a driving record that meets the City of Salem's driving standards
- High school diploma or GED supplemented by training or courses in arboriculture
and three years progressively responsible experience including work as both the ground hand on a tree crew as well as the climber, or any combination of experience and training that demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities as listed, and ability to perform the examples of work.
- Pesticide applicator's license, or the ability to obtain a certification within six months.
- Flagger certification, current first aid and CPR certification preferred.
Where can I find out more about the position?
- Go to www.cityofsalem.net/jobs
- Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for the TREE TRIMMER classification where the class specification is posted in its entirety.
How can I apply?
Click on the "Apply" button and complete your application, making sure that you specify how you meet the qualifications outlined in the class specification. Please submit copy of your current CDL and attached to your application. Please note that you will need to provide a certified copy of your DMV record.
The listed work examples are illustrative of the classification level and not intended to list all duties typically assigned to this classification. Employees may do all or some of the listed duties, or other related duties. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned this classification. It is as well intended to be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Agency: City of Salem
Address: 555 Liberty St SE, Room 225, Salem, Oregon, 97301.
Phone: 503-589-2074, 503-588-6162
How to Apply
Fill out electronic application before 11:59 p.m. on September 4, 2017 https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofsalem?page=2