The West Vancouver Land Development Department has an immediate opening for a Permanent, Full-Time Arborist. Reporting to the Manager of Land Development, this position will be responsible for performing a variety of arboriculture duties.
- Reviewing applications for, approving/disapproving, and administering permits to perform tree related work on
private property, roadways, lanes, and boulevards;
- Providing information, assistance and interpretation to the public and to internal and external contacts regarding
tree regulations and procedures;
- Answering questions from the public and advising District Departments regarding arboricultural matters;
- Investigating tree-related complaints and recommending appropriate remedial action;
- Issuing work requests to contractors for specific arboricultural tasks; providing instructions to and checking the work
during progress and upon completion to ensuring conformance with instructions.
- Receiving and processing tree permit applications; obtaining all information required; answering enquiries and
complaints related to environment permits and related by-laws, procedures and departmental rules, regulations and
policies, and explaining same as required; and,
- Performing other related work and projects as required.
The preferred candidate will have a thorough understanding of urban forestry principles, practices and procedures and of tree species, diseases, pests and treatment methods; a sound knowledge of the bylaws and departmental rules, regulations and procedures applicable to tree related matters; experience in Microsoft Office and computer programs; and an ability to establish effective working relationships with the public and internal and external contacts and provide information and assistance related to the work performed.
The successful candidate has completed a Diploma Program in Horticulture including or supplemented by courses in arboriculture or a related apprenticeship program, a Trimmer/Climber course coordinated through the Provincial Apprenticeship and Training Board, plus sound related experience, or an equivalent combination of training or experience. Certification as an arborist with the International Society of Arboriculture, a Pesticide Applicator’s License, and a valid BC Driver’s License are also required.
The successful candidate will also be required to provide a current Criminal Record Check and a copy of their credentials.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licenses and certificates required of candidates.
Position Status: WVMEA (Union) – Permanent, Full-time
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Rate of Pay: $33.15 - $39.07 per hour (2016 rates)
Closing Date: Noon, Thursday May 4, 2017
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
How to Apply
Please visit the District’s Career Portal at www.westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply via the career portal; we do not accept applications via email or hard copy.